Application Deadline: Closed for 2015
Yale Climate & Energy Institute supports post-doctoral fellowships at Yale in all disciplines related to the YCEI mission, from natural sciences and engineering to social sciences and humanities. Priority will be given to applicants who are self-motivated, can leverage existing Yale faculty expertise, and are ready to push the envelope on current theoretical, experimental or policy issues in the fields of climate and energy.
YCEI fellowships are normally awarded for two years, subject to adequate progress during the first year and availability of funding for the second year. The award provides a stipend of $50,000 per year, a research allowance of $5000, plus health care benefits and assistance with relocation.
Applications are accepted from individuals who will have been awarded a doctoral degree at any time within the last two years. Specifically, the cutoff for 2014 applicants was award of a doctoral degree on or after January 1, 2012, and before September 1, 2014.
Yale PhD graduates or individuals already in residence at Yale are not eligible for awards.
All Yale faculty members are eligible to sponsor YCEI postdoctoral fellows. A faculty member will normally be limited to sponsorship of one candidate per year. The sponsoring department will normally be expected to provide infrastructure—for example, office space and a research lab. In rare cases, YCEI can help with providing office space.
There is a new process for applications that began in 2014. All applicants must be nominated and submitted by a current Yale faculty member. Applications must include:
(1) A cover letter
(2) A resume or CV that includes the following information: Full Name, Date of Birth, Citizenship, Education and Degrees (including expected date of award of doctoral degree if not yet completed)
(3) A full list of publications
(4) A sample of recent research work, in the form of a reprint of a peer-reviewed journal article or a preprint of a manuscript under review at a peer-reviewed journal
(5) A statement outlining a research project to be undertaken during the fellowship (1200 words or less)
(6) A list of four references with full contact information, including e-mail address and telephone number
(7) Four letters of reference. One of the letters of reference must be from the sponsoring faculty member at Yale.
All of the documents in items (1) through (6) only should be combined into a single PDF file with the cover letter at the front, and with the following pattern for the file name: ApplicantLastName-ApplicantFirstName-YCEI-Fellowship.pdf.
Applications must be submitted by the sponsoring Yale faculty member via e-mail to YCEI@yale.edu. The subject line of the e-mail should be: YCEI 2014 Fellowship Application
Applicants are responsible for asking their references to submit a confidential letter of reference also via e-mail to YCEI@yale.edu. The subject line for e-mails with letters of reference should be: YCEI 2014 Fellowship Reference - ApplicantLastName, ApplicantFirstName
The deadline for receipt of all application materials, including letters of reference, is February 28. Successful candidates are expected to begin their program at Yale by September 1, 2014.
There has been a delay of several weeks in the evaluation process for the 2014 YCEI Fellowships. We are now expecting to announce selections on May 7.
Yale University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer; applications from women, minority and international scientists are strongly encouraged.